What’s It Like To Be Remote?

During the 2020 pandemic, some kids were going to school remotely (from home). And now you get to hear about what it is like to be remote. Before I list pros and cons of being remote, I will tell you what my day is like. So everyday, my Grandpa gets me up at 7am. I will then get out of my bed, to go eat breakfast. Every morning I have cereal, then I brush my teeth and get dressed. After that, my school day starts. I get signed in for advisory, and get on 1st period at 7:45 am (as I was writing this was problem solving). After I get done, which is at about 8:22 am, I get on the second period of the day. No problems, no google meets. At 9:22 am, the 3rd period starts, and I don’t do much. But at 10:00 am, things get chaotic. My first google meet of the day. Most times remote kids get ignored, but every once in a while we get a chance to talk. At 10:46 am, I get on the 5th period. We go until 11:21 am, where I have lunch. My brother goes to the Union Elementary. They give out lunches, so I still get a “school” lunch. Then, at 11:51 am, lunch is over, and I am back on the google meet. I stay on working until 12:30 pm, when we go to the 6th period. After the 6th period, I get on the 7th period, which starts at 1:12 pm, and ends at 1:50 pm. From 2:00 pm to 2:30 pm, I meet with my 1st, 5th, or 7th period teacher. And from 2:30 pm to 3:00 pm, I meet with the 2nd, 4th, or 6th period teacher, depending on the day. And that is the end of my day.

Pros of being a Remote StudentBeing a remote student can have it’s pluses. Here are some: I-Pad charging throughout the day, snacks during breaks, getting done early, listening to music throughout the day. Those are just some of the things I can think of.

Cons of being a Remote StudentYou can also find some cons to being a remote student: being lonely, not being included, missing out on important events, and if you join a google meet too late you couldn’t be able to join. Those are only some of the things.

Interview

I was able to interview another remote student to hear what she has to say. Here it is:

Me: Which one do you like more, Face to Face or remote?

Caitlyn: Remote

Me: Why?

Caitlyn: It’s easier, I can get done faster, and I can start on assignments earlier.

Me: What do you miss most about being F2F?

Caitlyn: I miss my friends.

Me: What do you think about google meets?

Caitlyn: They are annoying. One of my teachers has an assistant that posts the meet codes late, so we get on after class starts.

Me: How do you feel about the 2:00-2:30 and 2:30-3:00 google meets for remote kids only?

Caitlyn: They’re okay, I just don’t go to them.

Me: Did you get to decide about being remote? Or did your parents choose?

Caitlyn: My parents chose, but I agree with them.

Me: What is another thing that you dislike about meets?

Caitlyn: I can’t play my violin on the meets, or it lags.

Me: Has your teacher ever left the meet?

Caitlyn: Once.

That is the conversation I had with her. I hope you learned something from this (I’m looking at you F2F students!) Next time you have a moment, try to imagine yourself as a remote student, at home working with no one to talk to and no one to help you.